Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

Information about the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard Regulations and what to do if you are a landlord or a tenant with a ‘substandard’ domestic private rented property


Landlords must ensure that their rented properties reach at least an energy efficiency rating of E on the EPC or have registered a valid exemption on the UK Government’s Private Rented Sector (PRS) Exemptions Register.

To check if the property is not covered by the legislation and is exempt, please visit the GOV.UK landlord guidance page.

Landlords are required to disclose the EPC score when advertising a property to rent and must provide a copy of the EPC to any new tenant.

Further information can be found here on the Simple Energy Advice website.


Tenants of domestic rented properties should check the EPC for their home and may request permission to undertake improvements themselves.

If you are concerned about the energy efficiency of your home, you may contact the council. The council may use its enforcement powers to ensure that your home is made more energy efficient.

Further information can be found here on the Simple Energy advice website.

If you are a tenant of a privately rented property and you are concerned that:

  • The valid EPC is less than an E
  • You have not been provided with an EPC, or
  • You are otherwise concerned about the energy performance of your home

For more information visit

Epc 1068x638

Please share our news on Social Media

Posted in

Raimonda Kalabina